Tuesday 13 January 2015

How to make button badges

So, if you're like me you belong to too many fandoms to even list right now. (Also, if I mention them I will start getting really emotional, and using all caps and so on so you're all much better of without that nugget). If this is the case then, again like me, anything relating to them will make you happy, especially if it's something you can WEAR!! Like a BADGE!! (ok I'm sorry I just got all emotional there. Whoof... And breathe...) I tried to make my own badges a while ago, but they were rather embarrassing and got many negative comments (philistines. they didn't appreciate my ART.) So recently I tried again, and this time I think I've cracked it.

How to make Button Badges:
You will need:
  • Buttons
  • Thread
  • Glue
  • Water
  • A shallow dish
  • A pencil
  • Some prints you want on badges that are the right size
 
  1. Choose your picture that you want on the button (the more fandom related the better because cool is too mainstream) and select a button that is the right size for it.
  2. Draw round the edge of the button (in PENCIL. Trust me. I made the mistake of using pen and I will always regret it. sob.) to check it fits, and then cut it out, making sure you leave lots of room round the edges



  3. Put this to one side, without losing it, and then take your button, thread and safety pin. Tie the thread on to the button, and then start to sew on the safety pin, trying to keep the thread as tight as possible. It's tricky, so don't worry if you can 't keep it completely tight - the next step is to put a blob of glue over the pin, and leave it to dry.
  4. Next, take your totally unlost piece of cut out paper (you remember where you put it, don't you?) and soak it for about 20 seconds in the water. Then, without handling it too much so you rub off the ink, smooth it over your button, making sure it is placed dead center. Smooth the untrimmed edges round the back and then leave the whole thing to dry. (You won't actually need to glue it down - not quite sure how that works but it does. spooky stuff)


Of course because you're not fools you will have put the safety pin on by
 now, so you wont have to do it all again. I didn't do that obviously. Ahem.
Now all that's left to do is varnish it if you want (I recommend it). I only had satin finish so I gave it a coat of clear nail polish after the varnish shown above. You can't use oil based varnish though, because it will smudge the ink or something (wise words from my father there guys). Anyway, below are all the badges when varnished - I'm pretty pleased with them. What do you think? (Yes, I know they're fabulous. But you can feed my ego by telling me again if you wish)


Huzzah for badges!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment